Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Bumps in the Road w/Dad

Still having a bit of a rough time getting my dad adjusted to the new apt. Its really and adjustment time for all of us. He seems to be getting his days and nights a bit mixed up because he calls me at night and thinks its morning etc. I think its the lack of routine that he was use to when he was in rehab. Now theres no routine, no nurses, no therapy, no nothing. So he basically eats and sleeps when he wants to. That seems to be the problem though because he sleeps too much during the day then wakes up in the evening all confused thinking its morning and that he's been sleeping all night long. UGH. He's been remembering to take his morning pills but not his night pills. He's burned up a couple of things on the stove & oven. Just things like that that keep me worried and on my toes. He has figured out how to dial his cell phone, though he claims he doesnt really know how he just starts pushing buttons until something happens, LOL. Whatever. While all these things seem a tad bit comical on the surface, its been very mentally exhausting for all of us, trying to get him straight and SAFE. A huge THANKS to Ben and Jenna who drove 4+hrs round trip yesterday to pick up a recliner lift chair for dad that we found on Craigslist for a steal of $120!! Brand new those things run $900+. Its slightly used but in great shape and dad loved it so we did too :).

Anyways sorry to talk so much about Dad in my posts here lately but it has basically consumed me for the past several weeks since we started trying to get this whole "move" in the works. I should probably post a pic of my dad since I talk so much about him yet he is RARELY and I do mean RARELY seen by anyone and hates having his picture taken. Thats just him though, he's a very to himself quiet private type of person. Anyway, this picture of him I LOVE, I took it when he wasnt paying attention (which i caught hell for from him but i dont care it was so worth it) and it was taken last April at my Grandma's when we were all up there celebrating her 90th Birthday. It almost makes me sad when I look at this picture because I realize how much has changed since his stroke. Some for the better, yet some for the worse... which is hard to swallow sometimes.

No comments: